Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dominican nuns on Oprah

Dominican sisters from the Mary, Mother of the Eucharist congregation
(picture credit: http://catholiceducation.org/articles/stories_of_faith_and_character/cs0172.htm)


I don't watch Oprah, so I didn't see this on her show, but I saw this on a Catholic news feed; the Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist convent in Ann Arbor Michigan were featured recently on the Oprah show. I admit that I was a little hesitant to watch the videos at first; I was afraid that they would put a spin on the segment, trying to make the sisters look like freaks.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The sisters, who are very similar to the sisters at the St. Cecelia convent in Nashville, came across just as I have always experienced them: women who are passionate for God. In my own search for my vocation, I've thought about the Dominicans. Ultimately, I believe that God is calling me to be a wife and a mother and raise children in the Church, but if I were to be a religious, I think I'd be a Dominican. The Dominicans are also called the Order of Preachers and that is what they do: preach and teach. Learning, especially sacred theology, is a life-long undertaking for them, which is a big part of why they appeal to me.

For more about the Dominican sisters, visit the St. Cecelia convent website

No comments:

Post a Comment