Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord

I went to Mass tonight; I really needed it, though I don't think I knew how much at the time. Just spending time in quiet prayer and adoration is so refreshing, especially after a long day. Today was good, just long, and I was really in need of some quiet time with Jesus.

Anyway, there's a girl (or woman, I don't really know; I don't even know her name) who comes to our church sometimes; she is severely mentally retarded and the woman who cares for her brings her on a pretty regular basis. They were there tonight, sitting behind us, and I noticed that the further we got into Mass, the more excited the girl got, clapping her hands and laughing. It made me think about childlike faith; ought I not get so excited about receiving Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament? Perhaps her response is not what is conventionally acceptable; perhaps others might say that she doesn't understand, that she's responding to the music and the incense and the colors, the so-called "smells and bells," but I don't believe that.

I think that perhaps she, even more than me at times, understands what's really happening on the altar and is celebrating it the best way she knows how.

No comments:

Post a Comment