Thursday, July 8, 2010

Things I Love Thursdays, vol. 3

This week has been a little crazy, so this post will be pictureless, but I've been working on my list, so I wanted to post it anyway.

5. Photobooth

Oh my word, I'm having so much fun with this. It's kind of dangerous, especially when I'm in hotels by myself, because I end up spending lots of time recording myself talking, then playing it back... all in innocent fun, of course, but a huge waste of time. Not that I'm narcissistic or anything.

4. The Office
My brother got me hooked on it (I know, I know, 5 years after everyone else on the planet), and for some reason, it's the best part of my days these days. I'm working my way through Season 2 and it's positively shameful how much I watched today; I can't bring myself to put the number out into cyberspace where it will exist for the rest of time. Steve Carell's character makes me profoundly uncomfortable and there are a few subjects that make me feel a little squicky, but overall, I've been laughing hysterically, much to the chagrin of my hotel neighbors, I'm sure.

3. Kids
As a teacher, this should go without saying. My kids remind me daily why I'm doing this; it's not about the money, it's about them. They work hard for me and give me hugs and tell me they love me. And if I've made a difference over the last month for just one or two of these kids, then it's been worth it. I love all my kids and I'll be really sad to leave them next week. However, I've just gotten my new assignment and I'll be going out to the western part of the state for 4 days a week over the next 5 weeks, which means a whole new crop of kids to get to know!

2. New Planners
I went to WalMart this evening (mostly because it's really close to my hotel) because I was in need of a new planner; my MC one runs out at the end of July and I hate to get a new one a month into it (most planners start in July). For just $9, I have the planner of my dreams: a big, lovely green weekly/monthly planner that lets me organize to my heart's content. Yes, I am a nerd. Yes, I will also geek out over buying school supplies for my 18th first day of school. It's who I am and I embrace it.

1. Revisiting beloved childhood novels.
This job has been wonderful because it has had me revisit books I loved once upon a time but had forgotten about. In my 4th/5th grade class, we just finished Henry Huggins and are working our way through The Cricket in Times Square. I had forgotten how much I loved them until I reread them; surprisingly, my memories were quite strong. I'm also listening to a new audio book, L.M. Montgomery's Anne's House of Dreams, part of the Anne of Green Gables series. I love Miss Montgomery's books, and I'm finding that as an adult, I'm picking up things that I missed as a child; I understand things that I never did before and I'm able to feel both joys and sorrows more keenly. I can't find my copies of the series, so I suppose it's up in the attic and I'll need to find it before I move.

No comments:

Post a Comment