Thursday, July 1, 2010

Things I Love Thursday, vol. 2

Welcome to this week's edition of Things I Love Thursday. I have to say, it's been a lot of fun keeping an eye out this week for things I might want to write about. So, without anything further, here are this week's top 5 things that I love (this week, I'm counting down to my absolute favorite).

5. Hotel pillows

Part of my job this term is traveling to teach, so I've been staying in a lot of hotels lately. And boy howdy do I love the pillows. There's just something about the soft, yet firm, yet fluffiness of them that can even make a bad day seem less catastrophic. I also love the fact that I've been getting king-sized beds, which means lots and lots of pillows for my happy snuggling. Despite the fact that strangers have slept on them before, they're still pretty terrific!
Image found here

4. The Raleigh Farmer's Market

I wish the picture below was mine, but it's not. I'm usually too busy shopping to stop and take pictures. This past week, I loaded up my Reisenthel basket (the one about which I waxed poetic last week) with fresh corn, blackberries, peaches, green beans and goat cheese. The smell of fresh dirt, the warm fresh peach samples, the farmers who are willing to answer any and all questions: an hour there is a pretty happy hour for me. I'm on a quest these days to eat fresher and more locally (can't wait to get down to Charleston for that!), so having a Farmer's Market so close to my house helps in my endeavors. This week, Jack asked if he could go with me, because he's on a tomato kick. The kid loves them (and cucumbers with hummus) and can't get enough! I'm all for supporting local food and good habits in kids, so perhaps the camera will make an appearance this week.
Image found here

3. Books on Tape

I have to give Sam the credit for this one; she suggested that since I'm spending so much time in the car these days, I should try it. I'm so glad I did. The book pictured below, The Food of a Younger Land, is the one I started on this teaching trip. It's about a book that the Federal Writers Project (part of the WPA) started but never published right around the time the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. It's a look at the traditional food ways that, even then, were starting to die out. 70 years later, it's a fascinating look at what my grandparents and great-grandparents grew up eating and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Sam, if you happen to read this, you're totally right about the voice. This guy's voice makes the whole thing interesting!

2. Garmin nuvi

My Garmin is my best friend when I'm on road trips; Cupcake and I have taken lots of adventures together so far this summer and I'm anticipating lots more, especially as I get to know my new city. Yes, I've named my little piece of technology; it's an homage to one of my music professors at Meredith, who called anyone or thing that frustrated her "Cupcake." The first trip I took with my Garmin was to DC; the Garmin takes a while to calculate where you're going, but I didn't know that at the time, so I was driving down the highway yelling "Come on, Cupcake! Hurry it up!" as it tried to read satellite signals. From then on, it has permanently retained the moniker... I actually think it's kind of cute.

1. MacBook

Like I said the other day, I've finally jumped on the Apple bandwagon and I am so glad I did. I've envied Mac users for a while now, but this little baby was worth the wait. It's sleek, streamlined, easy to use and did I mention pretty? It finds a wireless signal in no time flat, which is practically miraculous, considering how long it took my MC computer to connect to the internet. Pages and Numbers make a lot of sense to me and I'm very excited about working with this computer all next school year.

That's it for this week's edition!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're enjoying the book on tape! And congratulations on your Mac. Yay!

    P.S. I love making it into your blog. It makes me feel like a celebrity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a total celeb in my book :)

    ReplyDelete