Monday, June 14, 2010

Grownup life is... interesting

So, I bought a car this weekend. It looks like this:

That is not my car, though, but it essentially looks the same (picture acquired from here). I feel like I've officially entered the grownup world, as I now have monthly car payments and insurance payments. Which is OK, since I have a job.

Speaking of that job, I start in the classroom tomorrow. The pre-teaching jitters have begun in a major way already. I think part of it's because my first class is adult students and I'm worried about being too young. I've talked about this ad nauseam with my supervisor, who keeps reminding me that I am qualified for this job. I just have a horrible tendency to undercut my abilities. I'm trying to keep in mind, though, that I am a performer; I've gotten up on stage countless times and sung for crowds of strangers-heck, I did a solo for generals at the Pentagon! So why I am so worried about teaching 7 strangers how to improve their reading? Go figure. But I do know this: a little performance anxiety is good. Nerves mean that I'll have an adrenaline rush when class starts and, though I'll be absolutely exhausted after 2 and 1/2 hours, I'll be sharp and focused. And then the next day when I have my babies (no really, I have 4 and 5 year olds the next morning), I should be good. Little ones are easy! Really, though, it will be good tomorrow, I think. I know the material really well and I have pretty good classroom presence, or so I've been told. Updates to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment