Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Small Blessings, Day 7

As my week of counting blessings closes, I want to focus on the thing that's struck me today: One of the biggest blessings in my life is that I have chosen to be where I am. It surprises me sometimes how much of their lives people put online, and I guess that I am no different, since I do have a blog. However, I've noticed this remarkable trend on Facebook that some people put a lot of the negativity in their lives out on the internet for the world to see. I consciously try not to for a couple of reasons.

First, I don't want my mother to worry because I know she reads what I write :)

Second, as I said above, I have chosen this life. Yes, sometimes it would be easier to not be in school and I really wish I had a secure job, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm doing what I want to do and what I'm supposed to do. Moving here, enrolling in this program, making my life (for now, anyways) here: all my choice. And everyone makes those choices. I don't know anyone who was actually forced into doing what they're doing; some people have, apparently, made the wrong choice for them and are therefore unhappy, but that's part of being a grownup.

I've been thinking a lot about that idea of being grownup lately, because honestly sometimes it feels like this life is just play-acting at being a grownup, that one of these days, the woman who really lives in this apartment, goes to my school, drives my car, will come back and want me to relinquish her life; it hasn't quite sunk in that her life is mine. But being a grownup is more than just paying bills, having a job and choosing to do things like eat ice cream for dinner (not that I did, but I thought really hard about it tonight!). It's about owning the decisions you make and making the best of them when you choose the wrong thing.

So that's what I'm thankful for today: that I've made the right choice for my life right now and that I have the sense to see it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment