Sunday, February 27, 2011

Meredith College: Stealing your boys since 1891


Today is Founder's Day at Meredith, which marks 120 years since the college's founding. Lately, Meredith has been on my mind more and more; I miss it more than I thought I would, but not because I have regrets from my undergrad time. I did everything I wanted to while I was there; to use the favorite word, I experienced it all. No, what I miss is the community, because that's been harder for me to find down here in my new city. I love having an apartment solo, but it's strange not knowing my neighbors after 4 years of roommates and hallmates. Lucky me, I'm still doing laundry in a community laundry room, but there are men that use it too, which is obvious, since I'm in the real world, but that's taken some getting used to. This new state and city and school and program: all good things and I'm happy where I am, but I don't think it's bad to look back at all the things I loved about the place I was before. So, some of my crazy, good, bad, weird memories of the 4 years I spent at MC:

Freshman Year
-the security guard who gave me a ride to my first college class (math, yuck) because I had no idea where the building was and I was running late
-our first snow day
-Voice lessons with Dr. T, which always ended up being at least half talking
-Being elected to the Honors Committee
-Working for Dr. J, my freshman advisor
-Declaring my English major
-Fire and Water dinner

Sophomore Year
-Rooming with my best friend from childhood
-Wooden floors in Brewer!
-The time that the pipes burst in one of the stairwells because it was so hot
-Tour with Dr. Fred
-Dr. Fred leaving :(
-Dr. Fred's amazing hand motions to go with the lyrics of the Alma Mater... especially the cyprus
-Charming Evening
-Hillary laying the smackdown on runner girl one night while Hil was in a towel
-My hall that year
-Hannah's and my crazy suitemates--we heard lots of things that year that we didn't necessarily want to hear
-NCHC conference in Denver (also where I first had gelato-yum!)
-Tea for Two, cochaired by the lovelies Sam, Abbey and Lauren
-Studied abroad, thanks to the indomitable Dr. W :)
-ALICE!

Junior Year
-My ONYX!
-The big rooms in Stringfield... also, no elevator. Thanks Daddy
-Started working in Res Life
-Moved across campus mid-year. Again, thanks Daddy
-Got kicked out of chorale and went on a music hiatus-boo Dr. B
-Wrote my bachelor's essay a year early
-Dr G, my advisor, dressed up as the Wife of Bath at the English majors' brunch... she did some kind of song and dance and it was, sadly, not videotaped but it should have been
-Joined SAI: Beta Zetas! Also the ridiculous sleepover in the music building where security kicked us out at 6:30 am because BB was grouchy

Senior Year
-Working/living in the apartments
-Dance parties to Fireflies with Lou in the middle of the night during finals, followed by 2am Cookout runs
-Lou and Hillary introducing me to shots
-Senior Cornhuskin': Go even or go home :)
-Senior parent night
-Last spring formal
-10th night
-Alumnae association inductions (also making Meghan L giggle while leading the Alma Mater because some of us Chorale girls brought back Dr. Fred's hand motions)
-Singing with Encore! in DC for the Pentagon
-Touring the Pentagon
-Linda, Kyndle, Marisa and I "serenading" Drs P & L with our rendition of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" in 4 keys in the van on the way to DC
-Singing a solo in my final concert with Encore

So many memories and that's barely scratching the surface. Meredith College: From the outside looking in, you can never understand it; from the inside looking out, you can never explain it. Happy Founders' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment