Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Letter to college freshman me

I start my graduate classes tomorrow-yay! I'm ready, with clothes laid out and bookbag packed; I'm just a little excited. As I was getting ready this evening, I started thinking about how, if you had talked to me 4 years ago, when I was just entering college, I wouldn't have told you that I'd be here, getting ready to do this right now. I also thought about how I don't think I believe in regrets; while I haven't always made the best choices, I've learned something from every mistake I've made, which has given them value. So if I were to write my 18 year old self a letter, I wouldn't tell myself what not to do, given what I know now. Here's what I would say:

Dear 18 year old me,

Well, you've got about a week of college under your belt now; it's not too bad, is it? Bummer about that math class-hang in there and just keep working hard. Now, since this is a letter from yourself in the future, you're probably expecting advice about what you should do differently in college. I'm not going to do that though, because you need all the lessons that you'll learn. Not all of them will be fun, but you'll come out on the other side a better person for them.

Here's what you do need to know about what you'll do in the next four years. You'll make some wonderful friends and mentors; you know a couple of them now, even though you don't know how valuable their friendship will be. That girl Sam that lives upstairs? You don't know this yet, but she'll push you to be a better person in so many ways; you'll gain a lot from her outgoing personality and incredible loyalty. You'll see. Also, your English teacher, Dr. G-you'll end up taking a lot of her classes (I guess that's not spoiling anything since you already know you're majoring in English). She'll want you to take some things that you won't want to take, but you'll do it and be a better person for it.

Now, I said you'll learn some lessons that are hard. You'll make mistakes, which I know you hate, but hey sweetheart, you're just human. You are blessed with an amazing family that will be there for you, even when it means being tough on you. Don't ever doubt that they love you, because they will see you through the difficult times both in school and in your relationships. You'll go through rocky patches with Mom and with Dad, but it'll all be OK in the end. One day, after you've wised up a bit, you'll wake up and realize that after all you've been through, your relationship with them has changed; they're not just Mom and Dad anymore, but friends. That's pretty special and unique, so cherish that.

Finally, you know that wedding you're planning for some weekend in May after graduation? I hate to break it to you, but at 22, you won't be married yet; God's plan for you is a little bit different. Be open to that different plan, though, because it's a good one. You'll know when it's time, because you'll have learned (a little bit better) how to be patient while you're working hard. You'll end up in a cool city with a good side job doing the thing you love best, even though right now you don't know that you love it this well.

I better stop before I give too much away. One last thing: don't wish your time at MC away. Enjoy the days that you have and know that when you have to move on, you'll be ready to do that. And hey, if I'm writing you from the future, you know you're going to come out on the other side!

Love always,

22 year old me

No comments:

Post a Comment