Sunday, August 29, 2010

One week in

Week 2 of grad school starts tomorrow and I have to say, I'm still excited. I still haven't had one of my classes yet (it's on Monday evenings and classes started on Tuesday last week), so I still don't know quite what my semester looks like-or rather, what midterm/final time will look like for me.

So far, Old English is exactly what I expected, but after 2 semesters in undergrad, I'm not surprised. I got together with my little study group today to work on the translation for tomorrow; they're all first-years too and I'm excited about having friends in my program. African-American Lit is going to be intense--we're reading a book a week and have to come in with 2 discussion questions and a passage to explicate, as well as the pedagogical approach we would take with that particular passage. Once I get through the first week and really find out what she wants, I think I'll feel better about that. Right now, I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed. The plus side of grad school, though, is that I'm only taking 3 classes instead of the 8 or 9 I would take a semester in undergrad. Don't get me wrong, the workload is heavier (a 3, an 8, and a 20 page paper for one class), but since I'm spending less time in class, I feel like that balances out.

I've also taken on a new project: I'm chairing the newly-created Academic Research Committee for our GEA and planning a research symposium for the spring. The exec board felt that, based on the experiences I had at MC, especially in the honors program, I was the best woman for the job. It will be a 2 year volunteer position and I am so excited to take this on. I'm meeting with the VP of the GEA on Wednesday to talk about budgets, etc; I'm truly jumping in with both feet :)

With week 1 finished, though, I can say that I really feel prepared for this. This is where I'm supposed to be, and my MC education definitely got me ready for this. I'm confident in class and spoke up and volunteered to read a poem in African-American on Thursday. I'm making friends and getting to know my way around--this life I have is really blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment